I started playing eve in early December 2012, and am keeping a journal of my daily activities.
Come in and make yourself some popcorn while you read about my silly newbie mistakes and palpitating adventures!

Saturday 22 December 2012

Corporations, part 1/3

I'm away celebrating Christmas an other assorted things on planet Earth, so I let the blog bots post things from the recent past each day, until I return. Spooky!

Today's topic:

NPC corporations

Here's what I've surmised from from my extensive week-long stay in New Eden:

Corps are pretty neat (see? I said corp, like a true lingo-user, oh golly!), there are these people, who decide to make a club with other people, except that new kids don't get to play with them, instead they have to play with the computer-generated NPC-corps, vile autocratic places full of robots and greed.
NPC corporations  make you pay 11% taxes on everything you sell, and make you grind horribly tedious and petty  missions for them so they can pretend to be your buddy and eventually stop charging you so goddamn much for refining and manufacturing services. If you're a good boy for a very long time, one day you can get a jump clone, which I assume is some sort of rare space food dish, sounds pretty delish!

Then again, it's pretty handy and comforting being able to relish in the safety of space stations while protected by flying robocops. Especially for carebears (whoo! more lingo!)
You're also working for the greater glory of the Amaar empire, and that's presumably an honourable goal. Yeah, screw you, Miniature, Gallium and Caledonian players!
Then again, actually taking part in faction warfare is something that I'm only very vaguely aware of, I'll have to look into the details if and when I myself shed my colourful carebear fur.

Another point in favour of NPC corps is that they're pretty much rock-solid. They won't lose their leaders, nobody from the corp will steal common property (because there is none to steal), and as a new player, seeing tat someone is in the same corp as you are probably means that they're a newbie too, meaning that they're probably harmless. Even if they intend harm, their newbie tactics and firepower shouldn't cause problems.

Yet In the end, unless you want to be pointed and laughed at for the rest of your life in New Eden...and that of your many cloned lives to come, you'd better get in with a real human-led corp. More about that tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I was really lucky when I started back in may, started a trial, and b4 i even finished the turtorial, I went to recruitment forums and found a nice looking corp, they accepted me and now 7 months later, Im still in the same corp with the same people :D

    ReplyDelete