I started playing eve in early December 2012, and am keeping a journal of my daily activities.
Come in and make yourself some popcorn while you read about my silly newbie mistakes and palpitating adventures!

Friday 25 January 2013

win some, lose some

Word of the day: hangar: it's spelled hangar, not hanger, get it through your collective skulls!

Music to accompany this post:



Remember when I said my bank statement was quite a roller-coaster? Well I finally found a way to graph it out, by plugging my API into EVE mentat (it's a pretty cool tool, and APIs in general are fantastic, also give EVEmon a try if you haven't already)


As you can see, things were pretty steady until I discovered the joys of trading, and became more and more aggressive in doing so. I brought my wallet funds to near 0 a total of 10 separate times within a 9 day span, but each time making more profit back immediately...except with those 1,5 billion litres of heavy water. I still have a third of that to unload.
It's been a busy and fruitful time, although the pure graph doesn't show it, peaking for only a few seconds at over 200 million cash. There have been no actual  losses, only investments (like 50 million worth of attribute implants on the 23rd, and 54 mil worth of skill-books on the 24th).

After spending so much time trading, I felt like it was time to vary tastes, so I did go back to mining for a little while. Managing to haul a record amount of 106 million ISK worth of minerals on the 23rd, I basically spent all afternoon and evening strip-mining two belts, while semi-AFK packing my things IRL. But minerals are only potential and unproductive money...they're piling up in my hangar, taking up ungodly amounts of space (good thing there's infinite room in that station).




A few missions with my Omen cruiser, æole had put me in a cocky mood, so I started clearing up rat nests in scan sites, for relatively good bounty prises. Most importantly, I was actively playing the game, not just clicking something every few minutes...the problem was, æole was pretty powerful, and quickly, these activities devolved into something similar to mining very small asteroids. ctrl-click, W-click, F1, rinse and repeat. At 30km, I was almost always out of range.

Then one day Trioxis the billionaire for whom mining is but a hobby told me about an incursion not far from where I was. Hmmm...an incursion. I have no idea how these things work, but there's only one sure-fire way to find out.
I heard RagnaR's voice inside my head: "faggot!" he called me...well that wasn't very helpful. "faggot! noo! don't do incursions with æole!"...oh, right, well that's a bit more helpful. Yet I chose to disregard that rude advice.
Entering the contested system, I saw that local was packed. ALL RIGHT! Let's do this! ...but 47 out of the 50 people in local were actually dustees. Crap. Nobody's fighting in space.
Well it can't be that bad, I figure, I'll just warp to one of these incursion sites and see what all the hubbub is about, eh? They're proabbly stronger than I am in æole, but I'll just take a look and warp out.
No. No, I still haven't learned from my mistakes, and continue to do reckless things like that. Immediately after using the acceleration gate, I target and open fire on the sansha bastards 30 km away from me. Aw yes! the perfect range! But within seconds, moving at seemingly 10k/s, frigates get the drop on me and quickly start draining my shields and armour. crap crap crap. Good thing I'm already alligned to the nearest...they're warp-scrambling me CRAP CRAP CRAP KABOOOOOM!...well shit. I need a new cruiser. RIP æole, you were the best friendship I ever had (apart from Tuggy the tugboat, Life Lessons,  several Belly Belugas and Speedy Gonzales).

Screw it, I'm not getting another Omen, I'll just train up Battlecruisers before CCP splits them into faction skills...then a side dish of covert ops. But first, let's refocus on my strong points: mining and trading. In a couple of weeks, I'll buy an exhumer, that'll teach those space-rocks who's boss!

No comments:

Post a Comment